What to Consider When Shopping
Whether you call it a snow blower or a snow thrower, if you’re in the market for a little snow removal equipment this winter, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
Here are some general factors to consider:
- Size of your driveway or walkway: Think about the amount of snow you typically get and the size of the area you need to clear. This will help determine the size and power of the equipment you’ll need.
- Type of snow: Consider the type of snow you typically deal with. Wet snow, like we’re expecting for this winter with El Nino in effect, may require a more powerful model. Lighter, fluffier snow may not require as much power.
- Maneuverability: If you have tight spaces or obstacles to navigate around, you’ll want to look for a snow blower with good maneuverability, such as a compact size or adjustable chute.
- Power source: Electric snow blowers are more environmentally friendly and require less maintenance, while gas-powered machines are typically more powerful and better for larger areas.
- Additional features: Some newer models come with features like heated handles, headlights, and power steering, which can make the job easier and more comfortable.
Single-stage or Two-Stage?
Power ratings tell you how powerful the engine is and how much snow it can handle. Here’s what the different engine types mean to you:
- Single-stage snow blowers: These are great for light snow and have a power rating of around 7-10 horsepower. They’re perfect for smaller driveways and sidewalks. At Ty’s, we use and recommend single-stage snow blowers from Toro and Honda.
- Two-stage snow blowers: These bad boys are more powerful, with a power rating of 10-15 horsepower. They can handle heavier snow and are great for larger driveways and areas with more snowfall. Ariens and Toro’s two-stage snow blowers are our favorites here at Ty’s Outdoor Power.
When you’re shopping for a snow blower, keep these engine types in mind. Think about the amount of snow you usually get and the size of the area you need to clear. That way, you can find the perfect snow blower to tackle winter’s worst.
Don’t Forget to Check the Clearing Width
Before you buy, one of the most important things to consider is the clearing width. Clearing width is the width of the path that the snow blower can clear in one pass. A larger clearing width means you can clear more snow in less time!
If you have a big driveway or a lot of sidewalk to clear, a wider clearing width will save you time and effort. However, if you have a smaller area to clear or tight turns around landscaping features, a narrower clearing width might be more manageable and easier to maneuver.
Should You Buy a Gas or Electric Model?
Gas-powered or battery-powered? There’s no single right answer to this one, which is why Ty’s Outdoor Power carries great options from both sides of the road.
Gas-Powered Snow Blower:
- More powerful, great for heavy snowfall
- No battery to charge
- Longer run time
- Need to buy and store gas
- Can be noisy
- More maintenance required
Battery-Powered Snow Blower:
- Quieter operation
- No gas to deal with
- Low maintenance
- Limited run time
- Less powerful, best for light snow. May struggle with wet snow.
- Battery needs to be charged
It comes down to what you need and what you’re willing to live with. If you’ve got a big area to clear and heavy snow predicted, a gas-powered snow blower is the way to go. But if you’ve got a smaller space and lighter snow, an electric snow blower could be a good fit. If you’d like a personalized recommendation, stop into Ty’s Outdoor Power in Gretna or Lincoln.
Our Top Snow Blower Recommendations for Winter 2023-24
Ready to tackle those snowy driveways and sidewalks this winter? Here are Ty’s picks for the best snow blowers on the market for this winter:
Best Single-Stage Snow Blower Series – Toro Power Clear
The Toro Power Clear line is made up of tough, durable snow blowers designed to tackle the toughest winter conditions. These bad boys can be equipped with quick and easy electric start and a quick chute control making them a breeze to use.
This line is great for anyone who’s been a little intimidated by snow blowers. The Toro Power Clear line is full of models that are super easy to maneuver, thanks to their lightweight and compact design.
So, why should you choose a Toro Power Clear snow blower?
- They’re perfect for dealing with smaller areas, like sidewalks and driveways.
- The Power Clear series is designed to handle lighter, fluffier snow with ease, so you won’t have any trouble keeping your pathways clear.
- And let’s not forget about Toro’s reputation for quality and reliability. These single-stage model snow blowers are built to last.
- This line also includes a battery-powered model for those who want to reduce noise or environmental impact.
Best 2-Stage Snow Blower – Honda 2-Stage Track Drive Snow Blower HSS1332ATD
Hey there! Looking for the best 2-stage gas snow blower? Let me tell you about the Honda 2-Stage Track Drive Snow Blower HSS1332ATD. This snow blower is top-of-the-line and perfect for clearing heavy snow.
Here’s why the Honda HSS1332ATD is the best choice for a two-stage snow blower:
- It has a powerful 389cc Honda engine that can handle even the heaviest snowfalls.
- The track drive system gives it excellent traction, so you can easily maneuver through snow and uneven terrain.
- It has a clearing width of 32 inches and can throw snow up to 56 feet, so you can clear a big area in no time.
- The electric start makes it easy to get going, even on the coldest days.
- The joystick control makes it simple to adjust the direction and speed of the snow discharge.
Overall, if you need a powerful and reliable snow blower that can handle big jobs, the Honda HSS1332ATD is the way to go. You won’t be disappointed!
Best Snow Blower for Long Driveways – Toro Power Max HD 1232 OHXE 2-Stage 38842
If you’ve got a long driveway or lane to clear, you’re one of many property owners who probably dread every snowfall. If you’re looking for the best gas snow blower for a long driveway, the Toro Power Max HD 1232 OHXE 2-Stage 38842 is the way to go:
- This gas-model snow blower can handle up to 18 inches of snow, so it’s great for heavy snowfalls.
- Its clearing width is 32 inches wide, which means it can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.
- The Quick Stick® chute control lets you easily change the direction of the snow, so you can get it exactly where you want it.
- It’s got an anti-clogging system, so you don’t have to worry about the snow getting stuck and slowing you down.
- The heavy-duty construction means it’s built to last, even with lots of use.
All in all, the Toro Power Max HD 1232 OHXE 2-Stage 38842 is the best snow blower for long driveways or denser snow because it’s powerful, efficient, and reliable.
Best Battery Powered Snowblower – Toro Electric Battery Power Max® e24
If you’re looking for a battery-powered option for your snow removal, I’ve got just the thing for you: the Toro Electric Battery Power Max® e24! This is one of Toro’s cordless models, giving you the range of a gas machine and the noise-reduction of an electric option.
- The Toro e24 is a powerful battery-powered snow blower that can handle up to 12 inches of snow and throw it up to 45 feet away.
- It has a 24-inch clearing width, perfect for driveways and sidewalks. Plus, this model has a 20-inch intake height! Deep, fluffy snow or heavier snowfalls don’t stand a chance.
- The e24 is equipped with a brushless motor for maximum efficiency and power, and it also has LED headlights for those early morning or late night snow clearing sessions.
- One of the best things about the e24 is its quiet operation. No more waking up the neighbors with a loud, gas-powered snow blower!
Why is the Toro Electric Battery Power Max® e24 the best battery-powered snow blower out there?
- It’s easy to use – just turn a key and you’re ready to go.
- No gas, oil, or cords to deal with – just pop in the battery and you’re good to go.
- It’s environmentally friendly with zero emissions.
Trust me, the Toro e24 is the way to go for hassle-free, powerful snow clearing. You won’t be disappointed!
Best Snow Blower for Large Properties or Heavy Snow – Ariens Rapidtrak
If you have a large acreage property or deal with heavy snow, the Ariens Rapidtrak line of snow blowers is the way to go. These professional-grade snow throwers are built to handle the toughest winter conditions and make your life a whole lot easier.
- The Ariens Rapidtrak line of snow blowers is designed for heavy-duty performance, featuring powerful engines and sturdy construction.
- The Rapidtrak system allows the snow blower to easily maneuver through deep snow and rough terrain, making it perfect for large properties.
- With its powerful engine and aggressive tread pattern, the Ariens Rapidtrak is the best snow blower for tackling heavy snow and keeping your driveway or walkways clear.
If you want a snow blower that can handle whatever Mother Nature throws your way, the Ariens Rapidtrak is the way to go.
There’s a Snow Blower for Every Property at Ty’s Outdoor Power
At Ty’s Outdoor Power, we’ve got a snow blower for every property and budget. Whether you’ve got a small driveway or a larger property, we’ve got the outdoor power equipment for you.
We’ve got a range of snow blowers available at our locations in Lincoln and Gretna and our experts will help you pick the right snow blower to fit your property, needs, and budget.
As always, Ty’s Outdoor Power offers free delivery on new equipment purchases! Whichever snow blower you choose, we’ll gas it up, oil it up, and drive it directly to your home. Plus, we’ll help you register your warranty and we’ll even teach you how to use your new snow blower if you need it.
Shop top snow blowers at great prices in Ty’s Inventory Reduction Sale!